Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Michelle Arnell

...my oldest child, my daughter, we rhymed her name. What were we thinking? Thankfully she got married & her name is no longer a sonnet.

I remember as a young newlywed wondering what it would be like to be a mother. Would I know what to do, how would I care for a child, what if I didn’t know what they needed? Would I even be able to have children? What was ahead for me? For those of you who know my family you may be surprised to know that we tried for over six months to get pregnant before our first was conceived. I luckily had very easy pregnancies & even with my first I think that I really enjoyed being pregnant. I loved the changes my body made & I loved feeling life inside of me.

As I reflect on my pregnancy journeys I realize that they each were very unique. I was never disappointed in the process. From conception to delivery the whole procedure is a beautiful, sacred gift. How can anyone who has given birth deny God? In my mind there can only be one source of such a miraculous procedure?

My beautiful baby girl is now a mother herself & is currently in her 3rd trimester carrying her 4th child & my 16th grandchild. My relationship with this beautiful daughter of mine has always been more than just mother, daughter. I have always felt like Michelle was the older, wiser spirit in this relationship. She taught me how to be a mom. She was the guinea pig, the one we probably made the most mistakes with but in spite of that she has grown into one of the most disciplined, hard working, loving individuals.

As a child Michelle loved to be in charge. She played school and was the teacher to her siblings & many of the neighborhood kids. She would do well with all of her pupils except one, stubborn, Chad Sims, who did not like to obey, teacher, Michelle. She currently puts her teaching skills to great use with her children & has organized the best home reading program in the state at Farrer Elementary!

I don’t know why this is something I feel the need to share but I think it may show her great business skills. From the time the kids were very young when they would go trick-or-treating they would come home dump the candy on the floor & then the bartering would begin. Michelle was a pro; “I will give 3 of these pieces of gum for just 1 chocolate bar”. What young child wouldn’t go for 3 for 1 – both parties were usually happy with the negotiations. Anyway I think that Michelle is probably one of the best employees any employer could have. She sees issues and concerns & suggests solutions. I admire her tenacity & her loyalty. She is one of the hardest working people I know. She accomplishes more in one day than I do in a week.

When Michelle was a teenager I had a dear friend say about her; “Michelle, is pretty near perfect”. I agree.

1 comment:

Shell Bell said...

Thanks for the kind tribute Mom.