Friday, October 17, 2008

Mean people Suck

I can still my son, his turquoise hair in dreads, strolling down the road a big rottweiler dog in tow, wearing his t-shirt emblazoned with Mean People Suck. This boy, my first son, is the complete opposite of mean people. Brandon is a kind, loving person. Brandon reminds me of his uncle Roger, which in my opinion, is one of the highest compliments any person can receive.

One of the cutest little boys ever, with white blonde hair, short little bowed legs & an infectious smile & giggle which were all very endearing. From the time Brandon was little he wanted to be on the go. He was my little guy that had to be carried around in a backpack while I was doing my jobs. He didn’t want to be left alone ever. He always wanted to be where the action was. When he was just a little toddler, probably around eighteen months, my brother-in-law Dave was watching Brandon play & he said “That kid doesn’t let anything stop him. If there’s an obstacle in his way he just puts it in four-wheel drive & keeps on going”.

From the time Brandon was young he lived full throttle. He loved playing outside with his buddies. I don’t remember any toys Brandon ever really played with. It was always sports. Soccer, football, baseball & basketball were the favorite pastime of the cul-de-sac gang. Brandon is an excellent athlete! Anything he tries he does well. It was always a pleasure to watch him play.

I have been told before that Brandon is a lot like me. Well, of course I think of that as such a compliment to me. Kind, loving, Brandon, then my brain goes to all of my weaknesses. Is Brandon my mirror there as well? Can a person be too laid back? Too easy going? Is being content a fault?

I have actually been pondering these questions quite a bit lately. Ever since my brother said “Women are never satisfied”. I suggested that not being satisfied was a personality trait not a gender issue. In your opinion which would you rather be always striving for excellence, ungrateful & discontent, never happy with the status quo or to be grateful, content & lack ambition? Would you rather ere on the side of driven or lazy?

Driven, ambitious, lazy, laid back whatever your style always remember to just be kind, like my Brandon, because, well … you know… mean people, they suck.

3 comments:

Amy Beatty said...

You have such a way with words. I love these little stories and insights into your life. I would love to see a photo of him with his turquoise dreads. Sounds like a sight to behold!

Amy Spalding said...

Debbie,

What a cute blog! It is amazing to me that you guys moved away from Syracuse so long ago. It really seems like yesterday. I enjoyed reading your posts and hearing about your family!

Amy (Keime) Spalding

Amy said...

I loved seeing Brandon on Saturday, I think for sure he and you are a lot alike..He has always been so cute..and what a cute dad he is!