Sunday, March 8, 2009

76 Trombones

One of my gorgeous granddaughters, Phoebe Jane Arnell, is currently starring as Amaryllis in the production, Music Man. Every time I heard the name of the title I would be triggered to thoughts of my father singing 76 Trombones and strutting around the house. I am sure my loved ones got tired of me saying “Music Man is one of my father's favorites” as if it was the first time I had said that. Little did I know what the play was going to do for me. Of course I was mesmerized by Phoebe's brilliant performance. Her lines were delivered with perfection and her duet with Marion the librarian was beautifully harmonized. With her long thick braids hanging well past her waist she really looked like she was from the era. Her costumes were cute and her two cousins who came with me that evening couldn't say enough times what a great actress Phoebe was. To say I enjoyed the play is an understatement. As each song was performed I realized how familiar it was and that was because dad had sung it. Whether a love song, such as, "Till There Was You", "Goodnight, My Someone", or one of the silly songs like, "Ya Got Trouble", "Wells Fargo Wagon", or the resounding "76 Trombones", each song flooded me with memories of my father.

I had realized before going up to the play that it was the six month anniversary of mom's passing and I had been a little reflective all week missing my parents, but that evening sitting in the theater I realized again what a loving, fun home I had grown up in. I lost my father when he was only 49 years of age and I was 17. I have experienced the healing of time but I also grow more homesick for my loved ones.

Loving and missing you mom and dad.

Love, (your baby girl)
Debbie Sue

6 comments:

Regi said...

Thanks for making a pregnant woman weep. I wonder if you can read your loved ones blog in heaven. Hummm I'm pretty sure you can. You just can’t comment. I didn’t know it was Grandpa’s favorite. I always knew my Mom really liked it know I know why. P.S. You have awesome grandchildren! Way to go Phoebe!

Amy said...

I'm not pregnant but you still have me in tears! You have quite the talent for writing Aunt Deb, I just love to read your posts..

Angie said...

Well, maybe we are just a bunch of babies because I too am letting the tears flow! You do have a great talent for writing and an even greater talent to love and you can feel both those things coming through on this post. I miss my Grandma too! Love you

Shell Bell said...

Make it four for four. Way to go mom. I have to go out in public in just a minute. Thanks for sharing such a great memory.

Becky A said...

fun to hear your memories, I don't hear much about your father. I'm glad you enjoyed Phoebe's play, and that it brought back such fond memories.
and thank you for the kind words about Will in your previous post. I'm sorry that he got sick on saturday...
ps. I love your bleeding heart picture. Next to daisies, those are my favorite flowers.

Debbie said...

Becky, I had a wonderful time with Will on Saturday. He was sick for just a minute & I really enjoyed just hanging out with him at the house. It was fun for me to see how much he enjoys Legos & to have some one on one time with him. He was a delight!