Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving Memories

Thanksgiving 2008: Grandma Bev's 82nd birthday and the first year without her. Bittersweet. I have had loss before so I know that the hard part comes the months after the loved one is gone. After all of the caring concern quiets. It comes when least expected. While stirring a batch of caramels, shopping, sitting in the front rows at church, in mom's empty home, sharing Thanksgiving with mom's posterity. I love and miss mom.

As we went around the table this year saying what we were thankful I was touched by so many who shared. Jillary said the most wonderful things about myself and each of my siblings - it was very thoughtful. Joan seemed very grateful that we returned to her home for Thanksgiving. She always makes the most wonderful holiday celebration! Velma brought birthday presents from Bev . They were treasures from Bev's home. It was fun to get a surprise. What a wonderful day spent with family. A day filled with love.

Probably the highlight of my day was when my 6 year old grandson Camden said what he was thankful for. "Heavenly Father and Jesus and my three Grandmas". Melt my heart. I never realized how mom felt about my children until I became a grandma. It is as if you can see the hope of the future in your posterity. You see all that is good and wonderful about these young people who call you grandma.

Mom lived a good life. She taught me to love. She was a good teacher & now my grandchildren continue to be my teachers. Grandchildren really do complete the circle of love.

2 comments:

Becky A said...

my children are very fond of their "Gramnell" thank you for all you do for them!

Angie said...

I love u mom! My kids had such a great time at the sleepover even though I know it ended up being a little stressful for u. They just remember the fun parts. Thanks for the fun thanksgiving tradtion.